Alamo Heights welcomes all military families to the Greater San Antonio area.
We in the Alamo Heights Independent School District (AHISD) understand that nothing causes more stress and turmoil for a family than moving to a new base/post, city, and school. Because of this understanding, we want to make sure you know about the option of living and or going to school in Alamo Heights.
If you choose to live within the AHISD school district you will be able to enroll your child in one of the premier school districts in the United States; if you choose not to rent or purchase in Alamo Heights, you may want to consider applying for tuition. AHISD does allow a limited number of tuition students each year. Our unique location allows for easy access to and from Fort Sam Houston, Randolph AFB, and other neighborhoods throughout San Antonio.
Our staff and facilities combine the sophistication of the 21st Century with the intimacy of a small town. Our teachers and administrators are focused, highly motivated, and recognized for academic and extra-curricular excellence. We are able to offer small teacher to student ratios and innovative course options.
Here are some highlights of AHISD:
- 95.5% of AH High School Graduates attend college
- ACT College Readiness Award to the High School – only given to top 5% of schools nationally
- Ranked one of the Top Traditional High Schools in the Nation by Multiple Publications
- Majority of Teachers Possess Greater than 11 Years of Experience—58% have a Master’s degree or Doctorate
- Strong Leadership and Character Education Programs
- Award Winning JROTC Program—National Champions for Four Consecutive years
- Superior Athletic, Fine Arts and Strings Programs
- When it comes to the state-mandated testing, AHISD has a philosophy of not “teaching to the test;” rather, the district provides a strong, enriching curriculum that focuses on student engagement and academic excellence
Below is a message from the Joint Base San Antonio School Liaison Office:
"Joint Base San Antonio School Liaison Office (SLO) helps parents ease the transition of the mobile military lifestyle and can assist prior to your PCS, upon arrival, while at your installation and when you prepare to depart for you next duty station. They specialize in serving military families with K-12 school age children and are able to provide information about the local school systems and community. The SLO will support parents and school districts with the Interstate Compact for the Education of Military Students interpretation, information on schools and boundaries, Home School, Deployment Support, provide School and Community Outreach partnerships. These military dependent education professionals serve as a link between military families and all surrounding school districts ensuring maximum education opportunities for academic success."
JBSA Contact Information:
JBSA-School Liaison Office
JBSA-Fort Sam Houston (210) 221-2214
JBSA-Lackland (210) 671-8388
JBSA-Randolph (210) 652-5321