The Strategic Plan for Expanding Late Bus
In 2009, a committee made up of
school personnel, community members,
and parents worked together to develop
a plan that would help create a culture
of participation that ensures equitable
access to academic and extra curricular
activities for students. One of the action
items for accomplishing this goal was to
expand late-bus service to students
involved in academic support and extra
curricular activities at campuses for
grades 1-12. Our program has been successfully running for 6 years and counting. AHISD is very appreciative of the AH
School Foundation for its financial
support of this initiative!
Questions you may have about our program:
- Is there a fee for the late bus?
No, the late bus service is free.
- Who is eligible to ride the late bus?
All 1st - 12th grade students living in the AHISD attendance zone are eligible to ride the late bus, including those living within two miles of their campus.
- Where will the bus drop off my child?
"Cluster" locations will be created wherever possible. If your child is the only one in the area, we will drop off as close to your home as possible.
- When does the late bus run?
Elementary late bus runs Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. The buses leave Cambridge and Woodridge campuses at 4:40 p.m.
Junior and High School late bus runs Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The buses leave the Junior School at 5:00 p.m. and the High School at 5:10 p.m.
- Do I have to register my child for them to ride the late bus?
Yes. Please click here to read the bus rules and then complete the bus contract. If you do not have online access, please see your campus for further assistance.
- What if I am not sure my child will ever need to ride the late bus?
The recommendation is to register anyway.
- Can I register at any time?
- How soon after registration can my child ride the late bus?
Your child may ride the week following registration.
- Will I have to register my child again next year?
Yes. Parents will need to complete the contract every year.
- I have more than one child, do I need to register each child separately?
- Can my child ride a different late bus home with a friend?
No. Students may only ride the bus for which they are registered. All students will be verified by an official registration list provided to the bus driver.
- If I register my child for the late bus, does he/she have to ride it regularly?
No. Students may ride the late bus as needed.
- How long will it take my child to get home?
The length of the ride is dependent on the number of students who ride the bus that day.
- How many buses will be used for the late bus service?
There will be two buses at each campus for late bus service.
- How will my child know which bus to ride?
Your child's campus as well as the bus driver are given a list with which bus your child should be riding. If you would like to see which bus covers which part of the district, please click one of the following:
- Junior School
- High School
- Who is allowed to use the late bus?
Students that are participating in tutoring, study hall, club activity, athletics, fine arts, or using the library are welcome to ride the late bus. Students must be involved in an extra curricular or academic activity to use the late bus.
- Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Each campus has a designated contact person who can help with questions and registration.
Cambridge - Gina DeLaCruz - 210-822-3611
Woodridge - Liliana Posada - 210-826-8021
Junior School - Toni Gilbert - 210-824-3231
High School - Ana Campos - 210-820-8850
Transportation - Jamie Vega - 210-832-5973